Friday, August 13, 2010

Life is so short

I know we all say this, but I think this statement is said so often without realizing what it really means.  A few days ago I had the worst scare of my life.  I was rocking Charlie in the recliner and the older kids came to tell me Jovi had an accident.  Without thinking I laid Charlie on the recliner and went to clean up Jovi's mess.  I never lay my babies anywhere but in a swing/bouncer or on my king size bed away from pillows or blankets.  I wasn't thinking and I nearly paid an awful price for my lapse in judgment.  As I was cleaning I had an overwhelming urge to check on Charlie so I cleaned up and rushed into my room.  There he was with his face mashed in the back of the recliner, I could see his mouth working as he fought for air and his face was blue.  I snatched him up and he gulped air and screamed a scream I had never heard before. I don't think I've ever been so scared in my entire life.  I called Chris and he came home and I just held Charlie non stop for a few days.  Even now, I look at him and I realize how he may not be here with us had I waited just a few more seconds to check on him.  I am so incredibly lucky and I will never make that mistake again.  

A friend, an online friend but a friend nevertheless, wasn't so lucky.  Her baby, a few weeks younger than my David, died yesterday after drowning in the family swimming pool.  All it takes is just a few moments and our babies lives can be snatched so swiftly and permanently from us.  Life really is so short, and when it's taken from us it happens so quickly.

1 comment: